Executive Directors Job Posting
March 17, 2023
Empower, The Disability Resource Centre
4 Escasoni Place, St. John’s, NL
The Executive Director is the senior leader responsible for the strategic vision of the organization and the implementation of related plans. In particular, they are flexible, demonstrate initiative, focus on strategy development, deliver the mission, objectives, and program goals, and provide the highest quality service to members, partners, and the staff/volunteer team of Empower, The Disability Resource Centre (Empower).
The Executive Director must demonstrate proven leadership success and have recent and significant experience supporting a Board of Directors in its governance role. The Executive Director will represent Empower and act as the principal liaison with various constituencies, including agencies, governments, donors, sponsors, employees, and volunteers.
While not essential, lived disability experience would be considered an asset.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the overall operation of Empower in areas such as Strategic Leadership, Administration and Finance, Employee Relations, Fund Development, and Partnerships.
- Work with the Empower Board to support current and emerging organizational priorities.
- Demonstrates a strong understanding of current and emerging community needs and the ongoing sustainability of current programs to meet those needs.
- Assist the Empower Board in operations, administration, planning, and information dissemination.
- Help build, sustain, and strengthen all Empower Board functions, including meetings, policy adherence, and committee work.
- Provide strategic advice and guidance on applying the accessibility standards within the Accessibility Act (https://www.gov.nl.ca/cssd/accessibility-act/).
Administration and Finance:
- Responsible for the annual budget cycle, including preparing the budget, expenditures, projections, reporting, and financial audit.
- As Financial Signing Authority, comply with relevant legislation and Empower bylaws and policies while exercising fiscal responsibility.
- Develop, analyze, and prepare reports, as required by the government, other funding organizations, and Empower Board.
- Write and submit funding proposals.
- Manage funding contracts.
- Work with private sector organizations and other charitable foundations to develop fundraising opportunities.
- Identify and source alternative revenue streams.
- Responsible for implementing all aspects of the Empower Human Resources Policies.
- Recruit and hire staff and contractors, per Empower policies.
- Mentor and support staff development opportunities.
- Provide recommendations on changes to the Human Resources Policies.
- Maintain Empower’s accreditation with Independent Living Canada.
- Collaborate, network, and engage Empower’s stakeholders.
- Partner with disability organizations to improve the inclusion of people with disabilities in the province.
- Maintain and expand partnerships with the Newfoundland and Labrador Provincial Government.
- A degree in Social Sciences, Education, Business, or a related study area; or an acceptable combination of education, training, and experience.
- Recent and significant experience* in a leadership role within the not-for-profit sector, disability advocacy, or inclusion services.
- Experience in all the above areas, including, but not limited to:
- Strategic Leadership
- Administration and Finance
- Fund Development
- Employee Relations
*Recent is defined as within the last five years; significant is defined as reporting to a director or a board of directors.
This will be a full-time (37.5 hours per week) permanent position.
The salary range for this position is $75,000 – $85,000, plus benefits.
For more information about Empower, please visit https://empowernl.ca/
Candidates interested in applying should send a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than March 31, 2023. All applications and inquiries will be held in strict confidence.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those under consideration for the role will be contacted.
Empower, the Disability Resource Centre (Empower), is a provincial non-profit organization based in St. John’s, NL, with members throughout Newfoundland and Labrador. We are an accredited member of Independent Living Canada, a nationwide network of independent living centres and community partners in building an inclusive and accessible Canada for persons with disabilities.
Empower is a consumer-controlled, non-profit organization that provides leadership in delivering cross-disability services and supports while promoting a more inclusive society within Newfoundland and Labrador.
Our vision for Newfoundland and Labrador is an inclusive community for all – a society that embraces diversity and the rights of all individuals to choice, self-determination, and independent living.
Empower supports the Government of Canada’s Employment Equity Act. We encourage applications from the four employment equity designated groups: women, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, and members of visible minorities. Empower also supports creating and sustaining a workplace that is equitable and inclusive of the LGBTQ2S+ community and other equity-seeking groups.
PDF (90 KB): Empower 2023 Job Posting Executive Director