You are here: Home / News
November 23, 2023
The Salvation Army Christmas Registration Dates for 2023 are:
- Friday, November 24th
- Friday, December 1st
- Friday, December 8th
Times: 9:00 am to 11:30 am and 12:30 pm to 3:00 pm
Location: The Salvation Army Ches Penney Centre of Hope, 18 Springdale Street, St. John’s
Please bring IDs for each family member (no pictures), proof of income and address.
To contact, please call 709-237-0095 or 709-237-0270.
November 9, 2023
Join us for our annual Christmas Dinner and Dance!
Empower will host our annual Christmas Dinner and Dance on Saturday, December 16th 2023, from 6pm-11pm at the CLB Armoury, 82 Harvey Road.
Tickets are $15.00 for Members; Non-Members are $30.00.
To register, please complete this form: Christmas Dinner and Dance Registration Form
For more information call 709-722-4031 option 3 or email Sherri@EmpowerNL.ca
Deadline for registration is Monday, December 11th, 2023.
November 3, 2023
Introducing 📖Empowered Readers Book Club📖
Empower’s NEW Book Club focuses on disability related literature and authors living with disability.
We meet virtually from 2pm-3:30pm on the first Sunday of each month. Our first session is November 5th.
You do not need to identify as a person with a disability to participate in this book club, however, accommodations and support will be provided to members who do present with disability.
You do not need to attend every book club meeting but instead can participate when you are interested and able.
Please complete the following form if you are interested in learning more about our New Empowered Readers Book Club:
Empowered Readers Book Club Registration Form
- November 5th – Intro to Empowered Readers Book Club
- December 3rd – Make you Mine this Christmas by Lizzie Huxley-Jones
- January 7th – Restart by Gordon Korman
- February 4th – Fish in a Tree by Linda Mullally Hunt
- March 3rd – Going for the Gullies
- April 7th – Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night by Mark Haddon
- May 5th – My Left Foot by Christy Brown
- June 2nd – Being Heumann by Judith Heumann
- July 7th – If at Birth You Don’t Succeed – Zach Anner
October 25, 2023
Do you know an individual or a business that has been a rock star in the full inclusion of people with disabilities in your community? Tell us about them and all they do by nominating them for an award! Nominations for the 2023 Independent Living Awards of Newfoundland & Labrador are now open. Nominations close on Monday, November 6, 2023.
CALL FOR NOMINATIONS
2023 Independent Living Awards of Newfoundland & Labrador
If you have made, or know someone, or a group who has made a significant contribution to the full inclusion of people with disabilities in community either at a local, regional, provincial or national level, tell us about it by nominating them for the 2023 Independent Living Awards.
The IL Awards are presented at our International Day of Persons with Disabilities Celebration on Friday, December 1, 2023.
The awards are:
- The Cecilia Carroll Award for Independent Living for a person with a disability, who has demonstrated a long-term and extraordinary personal commitment to the full inclusion of people with disabilities in Newfoundland and Labrador, locally or nationally. Minimum of 20 years commitment.
- The Independent Living Young Leader Award for a young person with a disability, under 30 years of age, who has raised awareness and shown outstanding leadership in promoting full inclusion of people with disabilities in Newfoundland & Labrador. Minimum of 5 years.
- The Business Award for Independent Living for a business who has displayed an innovative approach and achieved substantial outcomes in supporting full inclusion of people with disabilities in areas such as employment, transportation, housing, communication, and technology.
- The Social Inclusion Award for Independent Living for a person, team, group of individuals who has worked towards a more inclusive environment by creating opportunities for people with disabilities to participate in areas such as sports, the arts, education, recreation, and the wider community. This award is for someone/group that has gone above and beyond.
Conditions of Nominating
- To nominate yourself or another person/group, please complete the Nomination Form below and submit it to Empower, The Disability Resource Centre.
- Late nominations will not be considered
- Empower employees and their immediate family cannot be nominated for an award.
- To nominate a deceased person for an award, permission must be obtained from the deceased person’s next-of-kin.
- Information submitted may be used in promotion and publicity associated with the IL Awards of Newfoundland & Labrador.
Please ensure you include the following in your nomination:
- Category under which the nomination is being made
- Name and contact information for the nominee
Privacy & Confidentiality
Personal information collected during the award process through nomination applications may be published on Empower, The Disability Resource Centre’s website or in social media promotional materials.
Nominations close on Monday, November 6, 2032
2023 IL Awards Call for Nominations (248 KB)
2023 IL Awards Nomination Form
October 3, 2023
Empower is having a Members’ Halloween Party!
Date: Oct 30, 2023
Time: 6:30 – 9 pm
Location: Empower, 4 Escasoni Place
There will be karaoke, design your own ‘Day of the Dead’ skull paper mask, spooky sensory touch station, and more! Halloween treats and sweets provided.
Costumes encouraged, but please no masks or gory makeup. Prizes will be awarded to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd placed costume, with an additional prize awarded to the best ‘staff member’ costume.
Members must register for this event by Thursday, October 26th by completing the Registration Form – Members’ Halloween Party. If you have questions, please email Sherri or call 709-722-4031.
Not a member? Join Empower by filling out the Empower Membership Form (it’s FREE!)
September 28, 2023
*New* Empowered Learning Sessions!
An exciting new offering from our Member Services, these sessions will take place on the last Thursday of each month at 2pm and 7pm. They are being offered in hybrid model, both in person and online.
The first Empowered Learning Session is October 26th.
The topic will be Disability Disclosure and Requesting Accommodations in the Workplace.
To register for either session, please complete this form: Registration Form – Empowered Learning Session
Registration is required. Please contact Sherri or call 709-722-4031 if you have any questions.
September 7, 2023
We would like to extend a warm welcome to Amanda Lush in our InclusionNL Services.
Amanda is the new Coordinator of InclusionNL and is looking forward to working with employers to break down barriers in our work environments as well as educating business on how to increase their accessibility practices.
We are looking forward to having Amanda in this new role and working with her to continue to break down barriers throughout our communities.
September 7, 2023
Please join us in welcoming Sherri Tucker as our new Member Services Coordinator.
Sherri has been a part of our team for the past five years in a few different capacities and is looking forward to her new role at Empower.
Please don’t hesitate to reach out to Sherri at 709.722.4031 Ext 203 or at email@example.com, she’s looking forward to hearing from you.
August 22, 2023
Empower’s Annual Members’ Barbecue has been rescheduled!
➡️ If you were registered for the original date, you NEED TO RE-REGISTER for the new date! ⬅️
Date: Saturday, August 26, 2023
Time: 12pm – 2pm
Location: North Bank Lodge, Nagles Place, Pippy Park
Theme: First Responders
Attendance must be confirmed in advance by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com or calling 722-4031
Any questions, dietary requirements or accommodations needed, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
*Empower would like to thank United Sail Works LTD for their partnership and support in making this event more accessible!*
August 18, 2023
Due to inclement weather being forecasted for tomorrow, our Annual General Meeting will be offered through Zoom tomorrow at 11:00.
Our Members BBQ will be rescheduled to next Saturday at 12 pm at the North Bank Lodge
The link to connect is below – if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out.
(There are 6 prize draws for Members who attend the AGM)
Topic: AGM – Empower, The Disability Resource Centre
Time: Aug 19, 2023 11:00 AM Newfoundland and Labrador
Join Zoom Meeting: Zoom link to join Empower’s 2023 AGM